The Parker Fellowship was established in 2000 in recognition of Eric Parker, who taught at the Newcastle School of Architecture from 1957 – 1984. Eric’s passion for architecture, history and the arts was reflected in his teaching philosophies and values. He exposed his students to the rich and diverse architecture of the world and inspired many of his students to travel abroad. Eric retired in 1984 and passed away in October 1994. He is survived by his widow, Ruth, who is an ardent supporter of the Parker Fellowship.
The Colin Madigan Commendation was established in 2011 in honour of Colin Madigan. Colin was the co-founder of the architecture firm Edwards Madigan Torzillo and Partners, the architect of the National Gallery of Australia and the High Court of Australia in Canberra. Colin has received the Royal Australian Institute of Architects Sulman Medal in 1967 and 1971, and was honoured with the Royal Australian Institute of Architects Gold Medal in 1981. In 1984, he was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia and awarded the Centenary Medal in 2001. Colin retired in 1989 and passed away in 2011 age 90.
The Architecture Foundation was formed to manage The Parker Fellowship and Colin Madigan Commendation. The Architecture Foundation is a registered non-profit organisation operated by non-financial volunteer trustees and committee members. The trustees and committee members are responsible for the investment and distribution of the sponsored funds.